The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
To support quality and prompt service delivery in IHVN supported sites. IHVN is sourcing for suitably qualified young and dynamic Medical Laboratory Scientists to fill the position of Senior Program Officer and Program Assistants for the USAID Tuberculosis Local Organization Network (TB-LON).
Job Title: Program Assistant
Department: Clinical Laboratory Services
Job Location: Lagos, Ogun and Osun
OPENING DATE: 29th April 2020
CLOSING DATE: 12th May 2020
Responsibilities: S/He would perform the following-
- Provide technical guidance to facility and community implementers to ensure the provision of quality TB laboratory services (diagnostic and patient monitoring) in each of the four states.
- Provide technical support to strengthen the operationalization of the laboratory Strategic framework as defined by the National TB Programme in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders.
- Work closely with STBLCP and other stakeholders to implement laboratory DS/DR-TB and TB/HIV services
- In close partnership with the State Quality Assurance Officer (QAO), will oversee TB laboratory activities within the state
- Ensure all TB samples are tested, results documented, reported and sent to the requesting officers
- Participate in the Assessments of TB Laboratories
- Provide Technical Assistance (TA) to the TB laboratories on diagnostics, Logistic Management Information System (LMIS), equipment maintenance etc.
- Provide trainings on TB diagnostics including GeneXpert MTB/RIF Assay, AFB smear microscopy, Logistics Management Information System, Sputum Packaging and Transportation etc.
- Ensure that GLP is implemented and monitored in supported TB laboratories
- Ensure Optimal Laboratory performance (equipment efficiency and maintenance, optimal EQA performance, no service interruptions, adequate stock level, timely lab testing, timely results dispatch, timely and complete reporting etc.)
- Supportive supervision and mentoring to TB laboratories
- Work closely with the necessary stakeholders to ensure samples are moved to the testing laboratories promptly and ensures prompt results retrieval
- Work closely with STBLCP and ensures that DR-TB patients lab results are in the patient folders
- Ensure that TB laboratory challenges are flagged and followed up for prompt interventions
- Collate and review facility reports to ensure quality reports and provide timely feedbacks
- Ensure all reporting templates and other facility reports (Equipment functionality, data reports, faults reporting, QRRIF etc.) are submitted within the stipulated deadline to the STBLCP & IHVN
- Carry out data triangulation across all thematic units
- Maintain and update professional knowledge and take responsibility for Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor or designee
- Perform every other duty necessary for the successful implementation of laboratory activities of IHVN
The Program Assistant will report to Clinical Laboratory Services Department (Senior Program Officer, Program Manager, Senior Manager, Associate Director and Director), State Lead, Technical Director and Chief of Party, TB LON Project, IHVN
- BMLS or its equivalent
- Age- Between 20-35 years of age
- Should be reliable, proactive and visionary
- Must be creative in program design/planning and implementation towards achieving set goals
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform multiple challenging tasks with minimum supervision.
- Results oriented and responsive with ability to pay attention to details of work, set priorities and to perform beyond normal working hours.
- Exhibit good interpersonal relationship, written and oral communications skills and team player.
- Knowledge of Statistics, MS word, Excel, Power Point and Internet.
- Should have strong ethical values, effective time management, meeting timelines.
- Ability to predict and identify potential problems, take corrective/preventive actions.
- Should be flexible and ready to learn
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Assistant Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.