The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The TB-LON 3 Project is a USAID-funded Award that is a revolutionary program working with communities, facilities and relevant State and National structures to improve access to TB case finding, diagnosis, treatment and notification in Lagos, Ogun, Osun and Oyo States; as well as increase domestic financing for TB and strengthen surveillance and integrated reporting.
The TB-LON 3 Project is implemented by a consortium with Institute of Human Virology Nigeria as the Prime Recipient, Society for Family Health as the Sub-Recipient and other Implementing Entities.
ii: Description and objectives
Under the supervision of the COP, HOD (Lab), DTP, SPO PCT and SLA, the Program Assistant will provide technical guidance to facility and community implementers to ensure the provision of quality TB laboratory services in each of the four states in close collaboration with the National and State TB Programs.
|Position:||Program Assistant (Laboratory)|
|Reports to:||The Senior Laboratory Advisor and State Team Lead
TB-LON 3 Project
|Location:||Oyo and Ogun States|
Opening Date: 15th February 2023
Closing Date: 1st March 2023
- Accountable for the performance of the laboratory activities in the TB-LON 3 project state
- Provides, develops, oversees, and coordinates innovative strategies, required to strengthen, and improve the efficiency of the TB laboratory networks in the State.
- Conduct capacity building and on-site mentorship for facility staff on mycobacteriology laboratory work on TB diagnostics including laboratory data management.
- Strengthen diagnostic networks including supporting elements, such as specimen transport, biosafety, supervision and mentorship.
- Ensure optimal GeneXpert, TrueNat, TB LAMP, Microscopy, and other diagnostic laboratory performance (equipment efficiency and maintenance, optimal EQA performance, no service interruptions, adequate stock level, timely lab testing, timely results dispatch, timely and complete reporting etc.)
- Work closely with the relevant stakeholders to ensure samples are moved from facility and community levels to the testing laboratories promptly with prompt results retrieval.
- Collate and review facility reports (site visits, monthly/quarterly narrative, data, mentoring and supervision, etc.)
- Ensure timely submission of laboratory deliverables and reports.
- Flag and report TB laboratory challenges and follow-up the execution of prompt interventions
- Maintain effective communication with the IHVN Headquarters Laboratory department.
- Perform every other duty necessary for the successful implementation of laboratory activities of IHVN.
iv. Required competencies:
a. Core requirements
- Demonstrate knowledge of TB Molecular diagnostic Laboratory guidelines and policies.
- Excellent personal communication skills in written and verbal English Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced computer usage skills with proficiency in Ms. Word, excel and power point.
- Ability to work independently and deliver quality work on time.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team.
- High impact influencing and persuasive skills, and able to represent the organization to donors and other stakeholders
- Experience in building capacity at individual and organizational levels.
b. Education and experience
- The candidate MUST possess a BMLS or its equivalent.
- He/she must possess a current practicing license from Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria and should have at least 2 years’ experience working with TB Molecular diagnostic Laboratory.
v. Equal employment opportunity statement
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
vi. Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Assistant Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
- All Applications must explicitly state the position applied for and location in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.